Dorset Coast with the Most
Digital Postcard – Enjoy all that Poole’s magnificent coastline has to offer!
The Jurassic Coast
The 95 miles of coastline stretching from Exmouth in East Devon to Old Harry Rocks in Studland Bay in Dorset is world renowned as the Jurassic Coast and is definitely one of the places to visit during your stay in Dorset.
The Jurassic Coast is England’s first natural UNESCO World Heritage Site and ranks among the Great Barrier Reef and the Grand Canyon as one of the wonders of the natural world.
Dorset – the real ‘Jurassic World’
You’ve seen the film, now see it in real life on a Jurassic Park themed holiday to Dorset!
Dorset’s Jurassic Coast is world renowned for being one of the richest heritage sites for prehistoric remains.
Join a fossil hunting walk and you could find your very own piece of dinosaur, or even discover a new species!
Visit the Dorset County Museum’s Jurassic Gallery and gaze upon the world’s biggest bite – the Weymouth Bay Pliosaur and see real life bones of the magnificent beasts that roamed our planet millions of years ago.
For families, the Dinosaur Museum in Dorchester will excite any young dinosaur fan with life sized replicas and lots of interactive fun!
We can guarantee you’ll have a T-Riffic time!
Millions of years of history
Dorset’s Jurassic Coast was granted its UNESCO status for its outstanding geology with parts dating back over 185 million years.
For this reason it is a hot bed for fossil hunting with hundreds of specimens having been unearthed from the cliffs and beaches.
Find your own piece of history
There are many opportunities to take part in fossil hunting along the Jurassic coast many of which are based around the stomping ground of possibly the most famous fossil hunter Mary Anning in Lyme Regis and Charmouth.
Here you can take part in an supervised fossil hunting guided walk and learn the skills that Mary developed over 100 years ago.
Walk in the footsteps of giants
The Jurassic Coast is living breathing history walk with evidence of times gone by when giants roamed the earth waiting to be found.
This stretch of coastline provides some of the most jaw dropping scenery and views that will live long in your heart and is a favourite destination for walkers and nature lovers alike.
So pack up your walking boots and explore this fascinating and inspiring wonder of the natural world.
For further information on the Jurassic Coast visit www.jurassiccoast.com or view the Jurassic Coast ‘A Mighty Tale’ video on YouTube.
Looking to plan a visit to the Jurassic Coast?
If you are planning to visit the Jurassic Coast then why not make a holiday of it?
If you are thinking about what you will do for accommodation, you are in luck as the Jurassic Coast has accommodation perfect for any taste or budget.
If you think the Jurassic Coast is all about fossils, think again!
If thats not enough, you can also visit the set of ITV’s iconic ‘Broadchurch‘ drama series!
It is vital you keep yourself and others safe while visiting the coast, please take moment to read the information below.
- The risk of landslides and rock falls increase following servere weather and sea conditions. Residents and visitors to the county are encouraged to follow safety advice along the coastline as landslides and rock falls can occur quickly and without warning. Tides have also re-shaped and stripped beaches around the coast meaning it is easier to be cut off by the incoming tides. More information about landslides and rock falls can be found at www.dorsetforyou.com/410768.
- Walking along coastal paths may also be muddy and slippery in places so people should keep to official routes and follow warning signs at all times.
- You can find more information on World Heritage Sites in South West England, including the Jurassic Coast, the City of Bath, Cornish Mining and Stonehenge and Avebury, as well as the North Devon Biosphere and English Riviera GeoPark UNESCO sites, by visiting the Natural England Website.
- Along this stretch of coast, artists have long recognised the opportunities for linking the creative sector with the earth sciences – find out more about The Creative Coast project!
- Why not view our stunning video footage of the Dorset Coastline, truly amazing!
- Explore the Jurassic Coast by bus! The hop-on hop-off X53 service is a perfect way to visit one of the Jurassic Coast attractions, walk a section of the South West Coast Path or just sit back and marvel at the views from the top deck.